Tuesday 8 November 2011

The night I thought I was being shucks'd

It was one of those sweltering days in Durban yesterday. The weather had been terrible for the past few days, so with sun coming out, most Durbanites descended onto the beach front. I made the trek all the way from Kloof in peak traffic to dine at a certain seafood restaurant on the Ushaka Beachfront for some sushi and to take in some amazing views.  I met some friends as well as my friend's foreign visitor, hoping to show off how great Durban is.
As soon as we sat down, I had an ominous feeling of what was to come. The table was as sticky as a bar counter after a half price shooter special and that's saying something.
We proceeded to order our drinks from the waitress, you could see by the dazed and confused look in her eye that serving seven customers at a table was going to be daunting. We waited around twenty minutes for our drinks to arrive but didn't really think much of it as we were enjoying each other's company and the beautiful Durban sunshine.
At around five thirty we all ordered our food, which took a while as it was clearly evident that the waitress was not familiar with the menu, especially the sushi menu.
As the sun set, so did our hopes for a pleasant dining experience. We asked for a cloth to wipe our sticky table, which the waitress just left on the counter for us to wipe our own table. By seven pm, the food still had not arrived. Eventually my friend went to complain to the manager about the poor service and how long we had waited, pretty unperturbed by our grievance she said the food will be out in a couple minutes. The "hot" food such as the fish and chips arrived at our table with so many bones in it, it could choke a whale and was luke warm by the time it got to out table. As for my sushi, out of all the items I ordered, one measly portion of bamboo rolls arrived. The ironic thing was the sushi was warm, obviously the rice had not been cooled sufficiently before making the bamboo roll.
By that stage we were all in fits of laughter as to how terrible it was! At least we got a good chuckle out of it!
The same friend complained once again ( I wish I had the tenacity and no-nonsense attitude she has, I am rather cowardly when it comes to complaining I have to admit) We paid for the food we did receive and laughed off the food that hadn't arrived.

Out of the ashes of a terrible evening came the inspiration to write about these experiences. For any reader's out there I would love to hear about your great as well as not so great dining experience's.
Have a pleasant day and enjoy some charming cuisine, I hope.
The Foodie out. x

1 comment:

  1. Hey Isla

    That is so shocking!
    If it were me, I would have thrown a fit!
    Even someone with no dining experience or eating out would have been upset!
    As a customer you have chosen their business to spend your money on and expect a product in return! That is terrible and for them to not offer their sincerest apologies or any offers to somehow make it up to you is terrible too!
    I would fax this letter to their offices, I think the owners deserve to know how their business is being run/ abused rather by their staff and in fact bringing their establishment down!
    I would want to know how my business was being treated if it were my business!
    This place is an international tourist destination and this could be the first experience of SA for many people, what a dim light this could cast for SA! First impressions last Im afraid! What a shame!
    Businesses at Ushaka should be of the highest standards for this reason, if not for the business owners wanting to have a successful business for themselves. Especially in this industry, is not the aim of restaurants to please people?
    Shame on Durban for allowing such poor standards at one of Durbans highlight destinations!

    Awesome blog Isla, I look forward to many more x x x

    ReplyDelete

If you darling reader's have any foodie thoughts or questions please let me know!