Tuesday 15 November 2011

Pop goes the Kloofians

This past saturday I was fortunate enough to attend the Durban Pops hosted by the Kloof Rotary. It is a rare occasion when I get the chance to remove my flour covered apron and get really "dolled up", so I was glad that the red dress that has been staring at me out of my wardrobe had a chance to shine.
The Durban Pops is an event based on the Boston Pops in the states. It combines classical music played beautifully by the KZN philharmonic orchestra, and more contempary music together. The contempary vocals were provided by Catherine Lin, Makhadze Baloyi and Oshry Msizi Hadebe, they are all still in High School and damn can they sing! Pretty darn impressive if I do say so myself.
Now for the most important part of any evening is the food which was provided by Eat Greek. Due to the large amount of people that attend the Pops and the lack of a fully fitted kitchen, the food is served cold.





The starter was fresh poached hake with a light passion fruit sauce on an avocado cream, topped with a smoked salmon tartar and a lid of puff pastry.
The presentation was really well executed, I also liked the fact that the plates were so clean ( see how the plate is glistening in the light, brilliant!)
Unfortunately flavour wise the light passion fruit was not that light and it encompassed most of the flavour overshadowing the more subtle flavours such as the avocado and hake.










The main was chicken thighs filled with spinach and feta with a sundried tomato sauce, served with crunchy coleslaw and a combination or roast poatoes, butternut and sweet potato.
I enjoyed the main, I thought the flavours were good and enjoyed the addition of rocket.

After the mains and a few more songs we were treated to a cheese board with an array of dairy delights ( You know how much I love cheese)
The highlight however of all this was most certainly the cocktail kataifi's ( kataifi's are pastries made with shredded phyllo pastry soaked in syrup with almonds)
They were simply scrumptious and ending the great evening on a good note.

As I write this I am back in my flour and sugar coated apron dreaming of the next time I get to don a fancy dress and enjoy an evening of culture, only another year to go!

Foodie out. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you darling reader's have any foodie thoughts or questions please let me know!